Genealogical and Family History of the State of Maine by George Thomas Little, Henry Sweetser Burrage, Albert Roscoe Stubbs, Lewis Historical Publishing Company, 1909
Samuel (2), second son of Samuel (1) and Mary (Waters) Davis, was born January 10, 1669, in Groton, and was one of the soldiers of Queen Anne's war, serving in Captain Tyng's company of snowshoe men in 1703. For this service he was one of the grantees of Tyngstown. now Manchester, New Hampshire. He bought land in Groton of William and Patience (Davis) Ridland, in 1694, and continued to live there until 1706, when he removed to Chelmsford.
The births of seven of his children are recorded in Groton, and the same children with two others are recorded in Chelmsford, namely:
1. Samuel, born August 16, 1695.
2. Anna, May 24, 1697.
3. Mary, May 20, 1699.
4. Barnabas, December 19. 1700.
5. Simon, November 15, 1702.
6. Amos, October 15, 1705.
7. Experience, January 23, 1707, died in December following.
8. Elizabeth, January 16, 1708.
9. Steven, January 31, 1711, died when less than one year old. The baptismal name of the mother was Hannah.