Yerkes has also been spelled Gerkes, Gerckes, Jerghes, Jerghjes, Jurckes,Yercas, Yercks, Yerkhas, Yerkas, Yerkiss, Yerks, and Yerkus
The Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia borders Maryland and Virginia. The first European settlers started arriving about 1730.
Indiana became a state in 1819. The north was settled by people from New England and New York, the center by people from the Mid-Atlantic states and Ohio, and the south by people from Southern states, particularly Kentucky and Tennessee.
In the Civil War (1861 to 1865) eleven Southern states seceded from the U.S. and formed the Confederate States of America.
Henry Clay Yerkes was born on June 28, 1826 in Jefferson County, Virginia (now West Virginia). He was the youngest son of Josiah Yerkes and Sarah Lupton.
In 1850 he was living with his sister, Catherine Cline, and her family in Jackson Township, Carroll County, Indiana.
When he was 25, Henry married Mary Ellen Woodward of Camden, Indiana on February 20, 1851. Mary Ellen was born on June 26, 1833. Her parents were James Woodward and Malinda Goodwin.
Their children were: Malinda Catherine Yerkes Appleton (about 1852, married Wilson Appleton),
Sarah Margaret Yerkes (about 1854),
David Newton Yerkes (April 29, 1857, married Mary Frances Lenon),
James Levington Yerkes (1860, married Gertrude Studebaker),
John Lenon Yerkes (1862, married Myrtle L. Houser),
William Henry Yerkes (July 9, 1865, married Elizabeth J. Lenon),
Clara Belle Yerkes (1868),
Girelda Yerkes Downham (1869, married Harry B. Downham),
Anna Elizabeth Yerkes (1873), and Charlotte Yerkes Shanks (May 28, 1876, married James Oliver Shanks).
Malinda and Wilson Appleton
photo courtesy of Lee Appleton
The family appeared in the 1860 census in Washington Township. The household consisted of Henry age 31 who was a farmer, Mary E. age 25, Malinda age 8, Sarah M. age 6, David M. age 3 and an unnamed infant. David age 35 was living with the family at that time.
The family was still in Washington Township in 1870. The household consisted of Harry Georkis age 43, Mary age 37, Malinda age 18, Sarah age 15, David age 13, James age 10, John age 8, William age 5, Clarra age 3, and Gesilda age 1. Henry was a farmer and Malinda was a teacher.
In 1880 the household consisted of Henry Yerkes, Mary E. Yerkes, Newton Yerkes (1857), James Yerkes (1860), John Yerkes (1862), William Yerkes (1865), Clara Yerkes (1868), Relda (Girelda) Yerkes (1869), Anna Yerkes (1873), and Charlotte Yerkes (1874). In 1880 Henry was a stage coach station operator.
Henry died when he was 55 years old on April 29, 1882 and Mary Ellen died on April 2, 1894. They are buried together at Paint Creek Cemetery.
Berkeley County, Virginia was created from the northern third of Frederick County, Virginia in 1772. Jefferson County was formed from the county's eastern section. In 1863 Berkeley County became part of the new state of West Virginia.
West Virginia is located in the Appalachians and was originally part of Virginia. The capital and largest city is Charleston. It became a state during the Civil War and was admitted to the Union on June 20, 1863.
From The History of Carroll County,Indiana, p. 398-9
Stock raising has become one of the scientific arts of the day, the interest having become so widely spread that societies are rapidly being formed all over the country, in order that farmers and stockmen may be instructed in the most approved methods of breeding, feeding and caring for all kinds of stock, as well as in the best system of placing animals upon the market.
Wilson Appleton, farmer and stock raiser, Camden, Indiana, was born on January 29, 1847, in Lebanon County, Ohio, and is the son of John and Lettie (Brown) Appleton. His youth was spent on his father's farm where he remained until he was nineteen years old, when he bought forty acres of land at a cost of five hundred dollars, where he farmed for about two years, and then sold out, buying an interest in eighty acres. He again sold out and came to Carroll county, buying one hundred and sixty acres, eighty acres of which he sold to his brother, Joseph, and forty acres to Michael Ryan, all at a good profit, and now owns a splendid tract of land, consisting of three hundred acres, where he raises fine stock of every kind, which he disposes of by the carload each year. Politically, Mr. Appleton has given his vote to the Republican party ever since attaining his majority.
John Appleton, father of the subject of this sketch, was born near Trenton, New Jersey , of which state his father was also a native. John grew up on a farm and remained in his native state until he was twenty-one years of age, when he migrated to Ohio where he engaged in farming, as he worked by the day, until he was twenty-five years of age, when he was united in marriage with Lettie Brown, daughter of John Brown.
Mr. and Mrs. Appleton lived for a time at Lebanon, Ohio, where they were engaged in the grocery business and in 1852 they moved to Cass county, Indiana, by canal, landing at Logansport. They afterward moved to Rock Creek, Washington township, Carroll county, where Mr. Appleton bought a saw-mill and forty acres of land, operating the mill about ten years, and living on the place until he died. He went to the Civil War in company K, One Hundred Twenty-eighth Regiment, Indiana volunteer Infantry, in 1864, serving until he was taken sick and sent home, after which he followed agriculture. John and Lettie (Brown) Appleton were the parents of six children.
Wilson Appleton was united in marriage on August 31, 1871, with Melinda C. Yerkes, daughter of Henry and Mary (Woodward) Yerkes She died on July 31, 1910. This union has been blest with three children: Charles A., who lives on the home place; Burton F., in the business at Deer Creek, and Stella A. who became the wife of S.W. Smith.
Mr. Appleton boasts of Dutch and Irish ancestry. His fine stock has attracted the attention of a great many large dealers, his reputation having reached far and wide.
Presbyterians are Protestant Christians. The denomination originated in Scotland and congregations are ruled by elected elders. Presbyterian theology follows the Calvanist tradition and emphasizes the sovereignty of God, the authority of the Scriptures, and grace through faith in Christ.
from History of Carroll County, Indiana Its People, Industries and Institutions by John C. O'Dell
James O. Shanks In a brief sketch, it is impossible to give more than a faint outline of the history of James O. Shanks, a representative citizen of Carroll county.
James O. Shanks, farmer, Camden, Washington township, Carroll county, was born August 27, 1872, in Deer Creek township, Cass county, Indiana, and is a son of Henry and Mary (Blue) Shanks. He was reared in Carroll county and attended the district schools of Washington township.
At the age of twenty-one years, he started out on his own responsibility, buying a farm of forty acres at Deer Creek, to which he later added forty acres more, and has continued to prosper until he now owns a fine tract of one hundred and twenty acres. Mr. Shanks has always voted the Democratic ticket, but has never taken an active part in politics, his time and attention being devoted entirely to his general farming interests and his stock, of which he keeps only the best grades of the different kinds. His farm has been improved with, a good class of buildings, and is well drained. Mr. Shanks, with the assistance of his wife and family, has made the most of what he now owns.
Henry Shanks was born in Butler county, Ohio , and is a son of John Shanks. His wife was Mary (Blue) Shanks. Mr. Shanks was an active supporter of Democratic principles, and an earnest member of the Baptist church, to which he contributed liberally. This union was blest with eleven children: L. P., a farmer, residing in Washington township; Margaret, who became the wife of William Snider, and is now deceased; Anna was married to Jasper Fouts, and lives at Deer Creek, Indiana; John U., is president of the Farmers State Bank at Camden, Indiana; Sarah J. Shanks became the wife of Charles Snider, and lives in Carroll county; William H. follows agriculture in Jackson township; Mary F. was married to William McCluskey and lives in Cass county, Indiana; James O., the subject; Melvina died young; Nora B. became the wife of John Hummell, of Cass county, Indiana, and David, a farmer in Jackson township.
John Shanks, the paternal grandfather, settled in Carroll county as early as 1830, locating near Delphi, Indiana, and entered land in Jackson township, near Camden. He was a public-spirited man, and was for several years superintendent of the Carroll county infirmary. His land was situated half a mile east of Deer Creek, and while living on this farm, Mr. Shanks met with the loss of his wife, after which he went to Missouri to live with his son, where he died and was buried. He was the father of a large family of children, only one of whom was living in 1915, Robert Shanks, who now resides in Missouri. Mr. Shanks was a Democrat, and gave liberally to the Baptist church, of which he was a member.
James O. Shanks was united in marriage, September 1, 1897, with Miss Charlotte Yerkes, daughter of Henry and Mary Yerkes. She was born May 28, 1876, in Washington township, where she was reared, educated and married. They have three living children: Coy C., a graduate of the public schools; Ione, who graduated from the public school in 1915, and Lowell C., aged nine years. Mrs. Shanks is an earnest member of the Presbyterian church at Deer Creek, Indiana.
Mr. Shanks enjoys the sincere regard of all who know him, and is considered an upright and earnest worker for the best interests of his community. His attractive home farm, located on route number 2, Camden , Indiana , is known as the "Black Mud Farm," and is one of the profit-making farms of the township.
Charlotte Yerkes (Lottie)
and James Shanks photo courtesy of Lee Appleton