She married Captain James Davis (Davies) on December 6, 1666 when she was about 26 years old. James was born about 1636 in Gloucester, Essex County, Massachusetts. He was the son of John Davis. James was a farmer and possibly a ship's captain.
Elizabeth was the second of James’ three wives. He married his first wife, Mehitable, in 1658.
James and Mehitable's children included:
John Davis, born in 1660 and
James Davis (1663, married Bethiah Leach).
Mehitable died on June 9, 1666.
Elizabeth and James's children included:
Elizabeth Davis (1669, married Isaac Littlehale and John Stacy),
Abigail Davis (1672, married Ensign William Haskell),
Susannah Davis (1676),
Hannah Davis (1679),
Ebenezer Davis (1681),
Mark Davis (1683)
James served as ensign in the trainband in 1681 and as captain in 1689. He was “very sickly" as a consequence. He was a selectman of Gloucester and was town representative for eight years.
Elizabeth died on January 1, 1696/97 when she was 59 years old.
James married Mary Collins Elwell Cook on August 3, 1697. She was born on March 8, 1646 in Salem. She was the daughter of John and Joanna Collins and was already a widow twice. She had been married to Joseph Elwell and John Cook.
In 1699, James received a grant of Straitsmouth Island for his service in the French and Indian War from the General Court. Straitsmouth Island is a small island east of Cape Ann near Rockport, Massachusetts.
James died on May 1, 1715 and Mary died on March 9, 1725 in Gloucester, Essex County, Massachusetts.
Salem is in Essex County, Massachusetts and was a significant seaport in early America. John Endicott obtained a patent from England and arrived there in 1628. Salem originally included much of the North Shore, including Marblehead. Salem Village also included Peabody and parts of Beverly, Middleton, Topsfield, Wenham and Manchester-by-the-Sea.
A Trainband (or training band) was the basic tactical unit of the colonial militia. Men were required to join the local trainband. In wartime, military units were formed by selecting men from the trainband.
Essex County, Massachusetts was created on May 10, 1643 by the General Court of the Massachusetts Bay Colony, when it ordered "that the whole plantation within this jurisdiction be divided into four sheires."
In early New England towns policy was set by a board of 3 to 5 selectmen. They oversaw public responsibilities such as the policing, roads, and fences.
History of the Town of Gloucester, Cape Ann: Including the Town of Rockport by John James Babson, Samuel Chandler published by Procter Brothers, 1860
John Davis bought of Richard Window, in 1656, his house, barn, orchard, and land. This property was situated probably near Walker's Creek, as Wrindow had a house there in 1651. After a residence of several years in town, Davis removed to Ipswich; leaving here his two sons, James and Jacob.
The former had a house and land, which he sold to Joseph Allen in 1674. A few years later, mention is made of his house on the right hand of the way from Long Cove to Mr. Walker's; perhaps the same occupied by his father. Three generations of his family gave to the town some of its most valued and useful citizens; men who, during a whole century, were constantly in office, and, whether filling civil, military, or ecclesiastical stations, always securing the best reward of public service, public confidence.
James Davis was appointed by the General Court ensign to the trainband in 1681; and, in 1689, received his commission as captain. No means now exist for ascertaining what active service he performed in these offices: but we find, that, in 1693, he was "very sickly" in consequence of sickness he received in the "country service in Sir Edmund Andres's time;" and that he received in 1699, from the General Court, a grant of Straitsmouth Island, for the charge and expense he had been at and the time he had spent in the late wars with the French and Indian enemy. He was repeatedly elected to the office of selectman; and, for eight years, served the town as its representative.
His death took place May 1,1715. By his first wife Mehetabel who died June 9, 1666, he had four children; of whom two, John, born in 1660; and James, 1663, lived to maturity.
By his second wife (Elizabeth Batchelder of Wenham), whom he married Dec. 6,1666, he had seven children; one of whom (Ebenezer) became a citizen of considerable prominence. This wife died Jan. 1, 1697;
and, Aug. 3 of the same year, Capt. Davis married his third and last wife (Mrs. Mary Cook), who died March 9, 1725, aged seventy-nine.
The French and Indian War lasted from 1754 to 1763 and was the North American phase of the Seven Years' War.
The town of Ipswich was established on August 5, 1634, from common land called Agawam. On October 18, 1648, that portion called the "Village" at the New Meadows was set off as Topsfield. The boundary line between Ipswich and Topsfield was established, February 28, 1694.
from A Complete History and Genealogy of the Littlehale Family in America
Isaac [Littlehale], the third son of (1) Richard that survived childhood, must have gone with his mother to Ipswich. At any rate he learned his stepfather's Edmond Bridges' trade, that of a blacksmith, and settled in Ipswich. The first mention of him in the records of Ipswich is under date of March 3, 1686, where there is an entry to the effect that Isaac Littlehale for work done about the bell was paid one shilling.
He married Elizabeth Davis of Gloucester, Oct. 13, 1686, from which marriage descended all the Littlehales in America. The Ipswich records show that Isaac Littlehale had one mousecolored horse with star in forehead and white snip on his nose that went upon the common in 1697, entered according to law. In 1698 he enters three year old colt grizzled, with white face, no artificial mark.
The Essex county records show that in 1697 there was due Isaac Littlehale from the estate of Joseph Fellows, the sum of 8 pounds 8 shillings 7 pence. From the estate of John Rogers in 1694, 18 shillings 5 pence. Isaac was elected surveyor of highways in Ipswich in 1696 and 1698, constable 1705, tithing man 1707 and 1709, surveyor of highways in 1716. In a deed recorded Nov. 25, 1715, Isaac Littlehale of Ipswich, blacksmith, for divers good causes, especially for natural affection that he bears to his son John Littlehale, and for his encouragement and advancement, gave, granted and confirmed unto his said son John of Haverhill, 12 acres of land lying in the town of Haverhill (bounded in the deed); with the condition that he should pay to his mother or father if they should want it, four pounds per year. Also deeded him one half of the common rights appertaining to said Isaac in the town of Haverhill. Aug. 6, 1717, Isaac, in consideration of love, good will and affection, deeds and confirms to his son John of Haverhill, all the land which he had previously given him with restrictions.
Isaac died in 1718. His will was proved May 3d of that year. The date of the will was April 2, 1718. He leaves his son John five shillings, having before given him what he designed for his portion by deed of gift. To his son Joseph he gives his 3d division and half of his 4th division of land in Haverhill, with one half of his common rights in Haverhill after he shall come of age of twenty and one years. To his son James, all his land and common rights in Ipswich, with all his tools in shop when he comes of age of twenty and one years. To his daughter Elizabeth, 5 shillings, in full of what he designed for her, having already given her, her portion. To his daughter Mary, 20 pounds; to be paid by his son James four years after he comes of age. To his daughter Hannah, 20 pounds, to be paid by his son James four years after he comes of age. To his wife, he gives all of his personal estate and the use of his real estate till his children come of age. Also half of his house in Ipswich while she remains his widow. And his will is, that his son James maintain his mother so long as she remains a widow; and if his said wife marry again, she is to have ten pounds to be paid by his son James. Isaac's widow Elizabeth Littlehale married John Stacy ia Ipswich, Nov. 5, 1720.
The town common (commons) was a small, open field at the center of the town which was jointly owned. It was used as a marketplace, a place for the militia to drill, or for grazing livestock.