Salem, Essex County, Massachusetts
Topsfield, Essex County, Massachusetts
Various spellings of Estey
Easte, Este, Estee, Estes, Estey, Esty
The settlement of New Meadows was incorporated as the Town of Topsfield by authority of the General Court of the Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1650. The church "gathered" on November 4, 1663 with the Rev. Thomas Gilbert. The third Meeting House was built on the Common in 1703 with Rev. Joseph Capen as pastor.
Mary was a victim of the Salem hysteria and executed on September 22, 1692. Hannah, who was 25, stayed at home to take care of the family.
Isaac Sr. died in 1712 in Topsfield.
Many factors led to the witchcraft accusations in Salem.
Old Style Calendar
Before 1752 the year began on Lady Day, March 25th,. Dates between January 1st and March 24th were at the end of the year. Old Style (O.S.) and New Style (N.S.) are used to indicate whether the year has been adjusted. Often both dates are used.
A cooper makes wooden barrels and casks.
February 5, 1653
Job Hilliard of Salem, fisherman, hath sold to Isake Esty of Salem, cooper, one house and land adjoining, being nearly half an acre or 20 li. to be paid as follows. 6 li. on the 15th October next in Codfish or caske, 8 li. on the 15th October 1654 in fish or mackerel, 6 li. ye 15th October 1655, in fish or mackerel or Job to have the house and land again as by deed dated 19-5-1653.
American colonists continued to use British monetary units, namely the pound, shilling and pence for which £1 (orli) equalled 20s and 1s equalled 12d. In 1792 the dollar was established as the basic unit of currency.