Kingwood Township is on the western border of Hunterdon County, New Jersey. It was founded in 1798.
The Dutch were the first Europeans claim land in New Jersey. The region became a territory of England in 1664 when an English fleet sailed into New York Harbor and took control of Fort Amsterdam.
John Warford was born about 1689 in Eastchester, Westchester County, New York. He was the son of John Warford and Abigail Pickney Osborn.
In 1698, John Warford and his half brother, Richard Osborn, were living in the household of their uncle, John Pickney.
On December 11, 1699, John Warford chose Justice of the Peace, Henry Fowler, to be his guardian.
John married Elizabeth Stout in 1708 in Kingwood, Hunterdon County, New Jersey. She was the daughter of James Stout (son of Richard) and Elizabeth Treux.
The Grand Jury of Monmouth Co., N.J. present Elizabeth, daughter of James Stout of Middletown, for a bastard child by James Hid [Hyde], late of Middletown. She was fined 5 pounds and costs, or to be whipped 10 lashes on her bare back.
Elizabeth was spared the ten lashes on her bare back because her father paid the five pounds fine and costs instead.
Job Warford (1709, married Sarah Delameter),
Joseph Warford (1711, married Elizabeth Banner),
James Warford (1716, married Sarah Jewell),
Abigail Warford (1718, married George Warne),
John Warford (1723, married Mary Wickersham),
Eizabeth Warford (1723 married John Luther Calvin),
Rachel Warford (married Isaiah Quimby),
(1727, married Jacob Allen)
(1729, married Gabriel Fox), and
On 8 May 1705 the Eastchester town meeting voted that John Warford shall have four acres of land.
In 1706/7 John, sold his four acres to Moses Fowler.
On January 29, 1714, Elizabeth's parents, James and Elizabeth Stout, sold them land John Warford for 40£.
In 1717, they sold the land to Daniel Clayton.
In 1729 they moved to Hunterdon County, New Jersey.
On October 9, 1738, John was listed as a freeholder in Bethlehem Township.
On July 31, 1742 the Warfords were given letters of dismission and formed the new Church of Christ at Bethlehem Township (now Kingwood Baptist Church).
John wrote his will on June 9, 1761. It was proved on January 3, 1770. He left his farm to his son, James.
Hunterdon County originally included all or parts of Mercer, Morris, Warren, and Sussex Counties.
American colonists continued to use British monetary units, namely the pound, shilling and pence for which £1 (orli) equalled 20s and 1s equalled 12d. In 1792 the dollar was established as the basic unit of currency.
A surety bond is a promise to assume responsibility for the obligation of a borrower. The person who provides this promise, is known as a surety or security. Bondsmen were usually relatives or family friends.
John Warford II (1683-1769). He was born in Eastchester, Westchester Co., New York and died near Bapisttown, Kingwood Twp., Hunterdon Co., N.J.
He married ca 1708Elizabeth Stout born ca 1691, d. 1760's, daughter of James and Elizabeth (Truax) Stout of Middletown, Monmouth Co.,N.J.
The Grand Jury of Monmouth Co., N.J. present Elizabeth, daughter of James Stout of Middletown, for a bastard child by James Hid, late of Middletown. She was fined 5 pounds and costs, or to be whipped 10 lashes on her bare back.
The fine was paid by her father.
On the 1698 census of Eastchester, John Warford and his half brother, Richard Osborn were living in the household of their uncle, John Pinckney and next to Henry Fowler. On 11 Dec. 1699, John Warford "orphaned" chose Henry Fowler (a Justice of the Peace) to be his guardian. On 8 May 1705 the Eastchester town meeting voted that John Warford shall have four acres of land, which land in 1706/7 he sold to Moses Fowler and moved to New Jersey. On 29 Jan. 1714 James Stout, yeoman, and Elizabeth his wife, for 40£ sold to John Warford, yeoman of Freehold, land in said town. In 1717 they sold the land to Daniel Clayton. In 1729 they moved to Hunterdon Co., N.J. and Elizabeth was baptised 12 June 1731 at the Hopewell Baptist Church. On 31 July 1742 she with other members of the family obtained letters of dismission and formed the new Church of Christ at Bethlehem Twp (now Kingwood Baptist Church). John was listed as a freeholder in Bethlehem Twp. 9 Oct. 1738. He left all of his land to his son James. Made will 9 June 1761, proved 3 Jan 1770, Inv. 23 December 1769 (Liber 15, folio 18)."
A freeholder is the owner of a freehold estate which is an interest in land that is not fixed by a specified period of time, but which may last during the lifetime of a person.
To be presented to the court meant to be charged or indited.