from A History of Baptists in New Jersey by Thomas Sharp Griffiths
Baptist churches were found in early colonial settlements and grew out of the English Separatist movement and the doctrine of John Smyth who rejected infant baptism.
Kingwood Church had been organized and had built two houses of worship before 1712. While Hopewell had not built its own, as stated by Mr. Edwards and he adds that Rev. Joseph Eaton, of Pennsylvania, preached monthly at Hopewell for fifteen years. After him, Rev. Thomas Davis, of Great Valley, Pennsylvania, was pastor for years and Rev. Mr. Carmen of Hightstown, Rev. Mr. Miller, of Scotch Plains, and Mr. Bonham for two years.
Glorious years were they, fifty-five converts joined the Church and a meeting house was built.
Thirty-three years had gone when Rev. Isaac Eaton settled as pastor, in April 17th, 1874, and was ordained on November 29th, 1748. His pastorate continued until July 4th, 1772, when he died in his fortyseventh year.
Hunterdon County was originally part of Burlington County, West Jersey. It was set off from Burlington County on March 11, 1714. It included Amwell, Hopewell, and Maidenhead Townships.
Kingwood Township is on the western border of Hunterdon County, New Jersey. It was founded in 1798.
Mister ( Mr.) was derived from master and Mrs. and Miss were derived from mistress. They indicated people of superior social status in colonial America.
New Jersey's first permanent European settlement was in 1660.