History of the Town of Harvard, Massachusetts, 1732-1893: 1732-1893, by Henry Stedman Nourse, published by W. Hapgood, 1894, p.31-33
Still Water - Harvard
. . . in
August, 1688, going through Groton and Lancaster, found the the inhabitants "very much afraid." And the following summer in an address to the
Council they describe themselves as "being under some fears of being
surprised by ye Indians."
In 1692 and 1695 bold bands of savages
committed murders in Lancaster and escaped unscathed. But the bloody
incursion of September 11, 1697 - when nineteen persons were slain, among
them Rev. John Whiting, the beloved minister of the town - emphasized the
lesson of previous raids in regard to the weakness of the garrisons upon
the west side of the river. . .The official assignment of the
people of Lancaster to their several military posts, dated April 20, 1704
shows that besides the old garrison at the Still River Farm, Harvard,
another had been established east of Bare Hill, Harvard.
Of the former
men of military age in ten households.
. . .The birth of Joseph Waters is the earliest recorded in Lancaster, dating April 29, 1647. He had a wife Elizabeth, and a son Joseph, born April 2, 1682, who is the one named as belonging to the Still River garrison. He sold his Harvard lands to Isaac Hunt, a blacksmith from Cambridge, whose wife was Mary, daughter of Henry Willard. Waters removed to Groton, where he died in 1720.