logo

An American Family History

Captain Charles Fox

 
“Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves,
and, under a just God cannot retain it."
― Abraham Lincoln
 
Washington County, Pennsylvania, was created from Westmoreland and Fayette Counties in 1781. Originally it was a part of Virginia. Washington County split into Allegheny, Greene and Beaver Counties.
Early American taverns were important town meeting places and were strictly supervised. Innkeepers were respectable members of the community.

Captain Charles Fox was born in 1759 in Loudoun County, Virginia. He was the oldest son of Absalom Fox and Christian Bonham. He was a tavern keeper.

In 1786 a return of the militia officers elected in the county of
Washington, First Battalion, First Company, included Ensign Charles Fox.

He married Mary in Washington County, Pennsylvania. Mary was born in 1755.

Charles and Mary's children included:
Christian Fox Adams (1787, married John Adams),
Eliza (Betsy) Fox (1790),
Margaret Fox (1792),
Sarah Fox (1794, married William McLean), and
David Fox (1795).

In 1789, tavern keeper Charles Fox was assessed 83 cents in Washington County, Pennsylvania.

The family appeared in the 1790 census of Washington County, Pennsylvania. The household consisted of three females and two males.

In 1794 Charles signed the oath to support the Constitution.

In 1796 Captain Charles Fox appeared on the return of the first First Regiment, 1st Company of the Washington County brigade. The return recorded the election of militia officers whose commissions were signed by the governor.

In 1797, his father's heirs transferred land to him. Charles received the part of land called "Prospect Hill" near David Sutton, David Fox, and Tobias Friend.

In 1798 he voted against smallpox innoculations.

They were still in Washington County in 1800. The household consisted of

a man between twenty six and forty-five - Charles age 41
a woman between twenty-six and forty-five - Mary
a boy/man between sixteen and twenty-six -
two girls between ten and sixteen - Christian age 13 and Eliza age 10
two girls under ten - Margaret age 8 and Sarah age 6
a boy under ten - David age 5
a slave.

The records of Genevieve Hawk from September, 1944 say that Caroline Adams said that he and John Adams, his son-in-law, had been in business in Washington County before moving to Ohio. They made trips between Pennsylvania and Kentucky.

They family left Pennsylvania for Ohio about 1803.

1803. Book S L, page 265. William Seaman of Washington, and Charles Fox, and Pentecost, Trustees of the new market. Sum of $10. paid, also yearly reserved rent of ½ cents to be paid April 1 if demanded every year. Hath leased to -------- and rest of subscribers to New Market, being part of lot numbered one in the plan of Washington.

James Dunlap begs to inform the public and his friends that he has just opened a Public House at the sign of "General George Washington" (lately that well-known stand "The Black Horse," occupied by Capt. Charles Fox) in the town of Washington, where he intends to lay in a choice assortment of wines and spirituous liquors.
The Western Telegraph, February 3, 1804

After moving to Ohio, Charles ran an inn on the Cincinnati waterfront.

His wife Mary died in 1821. She was 66. Her death was recorded in the Adams family Bible, published by Mathew Carey, Philadelphia, in 1809. "Mary Fox, mother of Christian Fox, died in Lebanon, July 23, 1821, aged 66 years."

No record of Charles' death has been found. He was alive within the remembrance of his granddaughter, Caroline S. Adams, who was born in 1841. She remembered seeing him in her childhood home and said that he was the last man in the vicinity of Lebanon to wear knee buckles and a queue.

A Charles Fox between seventy and eighty years of age was recorded in census for Deerfield Township, Warren County, Ohio in 1840.

Descendants of Absalom Fox and Christian Bonham are Mayflower Descendants.

  • Samuel Fuller
  • Hannah Fuller Bonham
  • Hezekiah Bonham
  • Amariah Bonham
  • Christian Bonham Fox
  • Children of Absalom Fox
    and Christian Bonham
  • Captain Charles Fox
  • Bonham Fox
  • Mary Fox Frazee
  • David Fox
  • Anchor Fox Sutton
  • Iva Fox Sargeant
  • Jonathan Fox
  • Rebecca Fox Dearth
  • The United States Constitution is the supreme law of the United States of America and was ratified in 1789.

    Champaign County, Ohio was created March 1, 1805 from Greene and Franklin counties. On March 1, 1817 the present boundaries were established when Logan and Clark counties were formed.  An 1800 census counted 100 settlers.
    Warren County is in southwest Ohio and was formed in 1803 from Hamilton county. Lebanon is the county seat.
     

    divider

     

    John Adams, Jr. (1735-1826) was the second President of the United States (1797–1801), the first Vice President (1789–1797).

    From History of Washington County by Boyd Crumrine

    At a meeting of the inhabitants of the town at the courthouse at the ring of the bell on Wednesday, 25 January 1798 to consult whether it will be proper to introduce the smallpox into their families at this time, the following present answered.
    David Morris No
    Charles Fox No
    John Wilson No
    Resolved, That it is agreed that no person here present shall introduce the inoculation into their families without having given like public notice as at this time, so that the inhabitants may have the opportunity of remonstration against it or take such measures as may be necessary.
    Isaac Kerr, Sec.

    Smallpox is caused by of two viruses: Variola major and Variola minor. Symptoms include a rash and blisters. The mortality rate for V. major is 30–35% and for V. minor is about 1%. Long-term complications include scars, blindness, and limb deformities.
     
     
     

    from Deeds, Washington County, Pennsylvania Book L Q, page 543.

    Hugh Wilson et ux. to Charles Fox, June 24, 1801. Between Hugh Wilson, merchant of the town, and Rachel, his wife, and Charles Fox, tavern keeper, of the same place. Two hundred pounds. Lot on Market Street on west and extending thereon sixty feet, being lot 21 in the original plan of the town. It is the lot which John Hoge and William Hoge granted to Hugh Wilson on August 15, 1792.