logo

An American Family History

Theophilus Fiske

Wenham, Essex County, Massachusetts was settled in 1636. The first settlers called it Enon or Salem Village. It was officially set off from the Town of Salem on May 10, 1643.

Lush forests in Colonial America allowed settlers to build wooden homes.

Theophilus Fiske was born on July 28, 1676 in Wenham, Essex County, Massachusetts. He was the son of William Fiske and Sarah Kilham.

He married Phebe Lamson (Lampson), on July 18, 1700. Phebe was born August 13, 1673 in Ipswich. Her parents were John Lamson and Martha Perkins.

Theophilus and Phebe's children included:
Phebe Fiske Maynard (1701/02, married Jesse Maynard),
Jerusha Fiske Moulton (October 28, 1704, married Caleb Moulton),
Thomas Fiske (1707),
Theophilus Fiske (May 31, 1709, married Jemima Goldsmith),
Martha Fiske Dodge (October 25, 1711, married George Dodge),
Mary Fiske Perkins (1713, married John Perkins), and
Benjamin Fiske.

Phebe (the mother) died on May 23, 1753.

Theophilus married Mehitable Wilkins of Topsfield, on July 26, 1756.

He died September 6, 1759 in Wenham. At the time of his death, he owned his homestead,twenty-four acres of meadow in Wenham, two acres of salt marsh in Ipswich, and three lots in Wenham Swamp.

After his death, Mehitable married Robert Rust of Ipswich.

Boston
1756

Children of
Deacon William Fiske
and Sarah Kilham
  • William Fiske
  • Sarah Fiske Cook
  • Ruth Fiske
  • Samuel Fiske
  • Martha Fiske
  • Joseph Fiske
  • Samuel Fiske
  • Joseph Fiske
  • Benjamin Fiske
  • Theophilus Fiske
  • Ebenezer Fiske
  • Deacon Ebenezer Fiske
  • Jonathan Fiske
  • Elizabeth Fiske Foster
  • Old Style Calendar
    Before 1752 the year began on Lady Day, March 25th,. Dates between January 1st and March 24th were at the end of the year. Old Style (O.S.) and New Style (N.S.) are used to indicate whether the year has been adjusted. Often both dates are used.

    The town of Ipswich was established on August 5, 1634, from common land called Agawam. On October 18, 1648, that portion called the "Village" at the New Meadows was set off as Topsfield. The boundary line between Ipswich and Topsfield was established, February 28, 1694.

    Salt marshes which are between the ocean mud flats and grassy uplands, were desired by colonial farmers because salt marsh hay is more nutritious for cattle.
     

    divider

     
         
    Wenham was first settled by English Puritans. The church was formed in 1644 with John Fiske as pastor.

    from Historical Collections of the Essex Institute, 1868

    Theophilus, son of Dea. William and Sarah (Kilham) Fiske, married about August, 1700, as their intention of marriage was recorded in that month. She deceased May 23, 1753, and he married Mehitable Wilkins, of Topsfield, July 26, 1756, who survived him; and probably about October, 1762, she married to Robert Rust, of Ipswich.

    He settled in Wenham, where he made his will June 8, 1757, and died Sept. 6, 1759, and his brother, Dea. Ebenezer Fiske, settled his estate. Of his real estate in the inventory, besides his homestead, was twenty-four acres of meadow in Wenham, two acres salt marsh in Ipswich, and three lots in Wenham Swamp; and the homestead was bounded by a Thomas Fiske, John Friend, and Josiah Fairfield.

    His children were:
    Phebe, b. Jan. 4, 1701-2, who m. Jesse Mainard, of Westborough, Sept. 27, 1737, and she received her portion of her father's estate in 1760.
    Jerusha, b. Oct. 28, 1704, who m. Caleb Moulton, of Ipswich, Nov. 8, 1784, and Jerusha, her first child, was b. Aug. 1, 1735.
    Thomas, bap. Aug. 24, 1707; received his portion previous to his father's will, receiving by deed, April 2, 1757, half the homestead and the westerly half of the house.
    Theophilus, b. May 31, 1709, and bap. July 3, that year, who m. Jemima Goldsmith, Jan. 11, 1737-8.
    Martha, b. Oct. 25, 1711, who m. George Dodge, of Ipswich; was living when her father made his will.
    Mary, b. Sept. 29, 1713, who m. John Perkins [Timothy, Thomas], of Topsfield, Feb. 20, 1750-1; was also mentioned as living in 1757.
    Benjamin, who deceased Aug. 25, 1751.

    Essex County, Massachusetts was created on May 10, 1643 by the General Court of the Massachusetts Bay Colony, when it ordered "that the whole plantation within this jurisdiction be divided into four sheires."
     
     
    Cutter's Historic Homes is available on Kindle.

    Historic Homes and Places and Genealogical and Personal Memoirs, Volume 3 edited by William Richard Cutter

    John Lamson, son of William Lamson (1), was born in Ipswich, Massachusetts, 1642. His will was recorded June 23, 1717. He married Martha, daughter of Deacon Thomas and Phoebe (Gould) Perkins, in Ipswich, Massachusetts, December 17, 1668/69. Their children were:
    1. John, born November 21, 1669, married Abigail Adams.
    2. Phoebe, born August 16, 1673, married Theophilus Fiske.
    3. William, born August 19. 1675, married Lydia Porter.
    4. Martha, born March 21, 1677, married Benjamin Bixby.
    5. Thomas, born January 3, 1682, married (first) Abigail Faulkner; (second) Sarah Ridge; (third) Ruth Bowles.
    6. Sarah, born 1683, married Paul Faulkner.
    7. Samuel, born February 25, 1684, married Mary Edwards.