logo

An American Family History

Aaron Estey

 

Various spellings of Estey
Easte, Este, Estee, Estes, Estey, Esty

 
New Hampshire was first settled by Europeans in 1623. It was separated from Massachusetts in 1679.

The American Revolution was ended in 1783 when the Treaty of Paris was signed.

Aaron Estey was born on January 18, 1745/46 in Topsfield, Essex County, Massachusetts. His parents were Aaron Estey and Esther Richards.

He married Molly Hooper of Lynn on October 23, 1765. Molly was born on January 18,1745/46. She was an orphan who was raised by Zaccheus Gould and Rebecca Symonds.

Their children included:
Joseph Estey (1767),
Hannah Estey (1769),
William Estey (1771, married Ann Powers and settled in Seneca County, New York), and
John Estey (1773, married Sally Desper and had 12 children).

They moved to Rindge, New Hampshire about 1770 and a few years later to Shrewbury, Vermont and finally to Leicester, Addison County, Vermont.

They lived near the Leicester River bridge, and ran a ferry. He built a boat from two pine logs and transported horses across the stream on it. He built another for people on foot.

About 1814 or 1815, he sold his property and went to live with his son in Western New York. He came back when he was over 90 years and lived with his son, John.

He died July 31, 1844, aged ninety-eight years and six months, in Leicester, Addison County, Vermont.

mother
First printed in Boston 1745
Children of Aaron Estey
& Esther Richards
  • Isaac Estey
  • Aaron Estey
  • Hannah Estey Towne
  • Mary Estey Dwinnell
  • Isaac Estey
  • Abigail Estey
  • Esther Estey
  • William Estey
  • Daniel Estey
  • Esther Estey Balch
  • Aaron Estey
  • William Estey
  • Old Style Calendar
    Before 1752 the year began on Lady Day, March 25th,. Dates between January 1st and March 24th were at the end of the year. Old Style (O.S.) and New Style (N.S.) are used to indicate whether the year has been adjusted. Often both dates are used.

    The settlement of New Meadows was incorporated as the Town of Topsfield by authority of the General Court of the Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1650. The church "gathered" on November 4, 1663 with the Rev. Thomas Gilbert. The third Meeting House was built on the Common in 1703 with Rev. Joseph Capen as pastor.

     

    divider

     
     

    from History of the Town of Leicester

    Aaron Esty located on the site of the house now occupied by Luther Barker, near the Leicester River bridge, and ran a ferry there. The old highway was on the west side of Otter Creek to this point. Esty wrought two pine logs into a boat which would transport horses across the stream, and another for the accommodation of foot passengers. About the year 1814 or 1815 he sold out and made a visit to a son in Western New York, remaining until he had passed his ninetieth year. He then came back and lived with another son, John Esty. He died July 31, 1844, aged ninety-eight years and six months.

     
     
     
    Slavery is an immoral system of forced labor where people are treated as property to be bought and sold. It was legal in the American Colonies and the United States until the Civil War.

    from The family of Zaccheus Gould of Topsfield by Benjamin Apthorp Gould

    Zaccheus [Gould], b. 1717 Nov. 7; m. 1745 Nov. 4 Rebecca (b. 1722 Nov. 28; d. 1792 May 30), dau. of Dea. Samuel and Mary Symonds of Middleton; d. 1793 Jan. 2 ; no children.

    He was a very useful man in the town. Although his education was small, yet he filled many important offices, was one of the Selectmen of the town 18 years in 21, and represented the town in the General Court. He was a wealthy farmer and a very benevolent man; and though he had no children of his own, yet he brought up many fatherless and motherless children, as also poor ones, from their infancy. He was a man of sound judgement, — a terror to evil doers, and a praise to all who did well, his wife was one of the excellent of the earth." (Rev. Daniel Gould, 1815).

    He is said to have possessed remarkable arithmetical ability, habitually performing complicated calculations in his mind, within less time than most others could do them on paper.

    Mr. Zaccheus Gould and his wife Rebecca, having no children of their own, brought up in their household the five following: ,

    a. Mary Hooper, from Salem, an orphan. She m. 1766 (publ. June 8) Aaron Esty, who moved to Vermont,

    b. Zaecheus [Gould] (No. 308) son of Mr. Gould's brother Eliezer.

    c. Rebecca [Gould] (No. 312) dau. of the same. She m. 1788 Amos Foster from Rowley.

    d. Mehitable [Peabody], b. 1764 Aug. 7, dau. of John and Hannah [Smith] Peabody. Her mother was dau. of Samuel and Rebecca [Curtice] Smith (see No. 82), and thus first cousin to Mr. Gould, and niece of the first wife of his brother Eliezer. They adopted her when three weeks old. She m. 1789 Nov. 24 Jonas Merriam (b. 1764; d. 1827 Feb. 23), brother of Dr. John, and had three children.

    a . Anna (Nancy) Mecum, b. 1771, dau. of Elizabeth [Robinson] (No. 279), Mr. Gould's niece. She m. 1798 Moses Gould (No. 160).

    His negro woman Venus, m. 1707 Prince, the noted slave of Zaecheus Collins (See Lewis's History of Lynn, p. 344).

    Essex County, Massachusetts was created on May 10, 1643 by the General Court of the Massachusetts Bay Colony, when it ordered "that the whole plantation within this jurisdiction be divided into four sheires."

     

    Bauman & Dreisbach
     
     
     

    ©Roberta Tuller 2017
    tuller.roberta@gmail.com