An American Family History

The Hoge Family


The Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia borders Maryland and Virginia. The first European settlers started arriving about 1730.


New Jersey's first permanent European settlement was in 1660.

In 1688, during the Glorious Revolution, the Protestant king and queen,William and Mary, took the English throne from Catholic King James II. The bloodless revolution profoundly impacted the American colonies.

William Hoge was born about 1660 in Scotland.

He married married Barbara Hume.

John Hoge (1699, married Gwentholyn Bowen Davis),
Alexander Hoge (1703),
James Hoge (1706, married Nancy Griffith and Agnes Crawford),
George Hoge (1708),
William Hoge (1708, married Mary Anne Pancoast),
Nancy Hoge (1710, married Neal Thompson),
Jureter Hoge (1712),
Solomon Hoge (1716, married Esther), and
Zebulon Hoge (1718).

In 1688, William served as a member of the House of Deputies of the New Jersey Assembly

In 1689 the family moved to what is now Delaware.

On November 11, 1710, William Hoge "of County of Monmouth in the Eastern Division of New Jersey a Taylor" purchased 1,000 acres on a branch of the Elk River in East Nottingham Township, Chester County, Pennsylvania

William Hoge appeared in the Chester county tax records until 1735.

The family moved to a branch of Opequon Creek (named Hoge Run).

In 1745 William sold land to the trustees of Opequon Presbyterian church

19 February 1745, Frederick Co., Virginia Deed Book 1, Page 274. 
William Hoge Sr., of Frederick Co., Virginia leases to David Vance, Joseph Colvill, Robert Willson, Robert Allen, William Reid, John Wilson, William Chambers, Thomas Marquis, David Vance, Gent James Vance, Robert Smith, James Hogg Jr., Robert White, William McMachen, Gent Samuel Glass and David Glass, all of Frederick Co., Virginia, for five shillings, two acres, near the Presbyterian Meeting Place.
Signed William Hog, in the presence of William Marquis, James Brown and Joseph Colvill younger. 

In August, 1749, his will was filed in Frederick County, Virginia.


Opequon Creek is tributary of the Potomac River. It joins the Potomac northeast of Martinsburg and its source is at the foot of Great North Mountain. It is part of the boundary between Frederick and Clarke counties in Virginia and between Berkeley and Jefferson counties in West Virginia.

   1744 "On the petition of William Hoge, Jun. for leave to keep Ordinary at his House in the County, License is granted him for one year, he having paid the Governor's fees, together with James Wood Gent, his security, entered Bond according to law."   
Old Style Calendar
Before 1752 the year began on Lady Day, March 25th,. Dates between January 1st and March 24th were at the end of the year. Old Style (O.S.) and New Style (N.S.) are used to indicate whether the year has been adjusted. Often both dates are used.
Slavery is an immoral system of forced labor where people are treated as property to be bought and sold. It was legal in the American Colonies and the United States until the Civil War.

Alcohol played a significant role in the daily lives of colonists; even children. They feared polluted water and believed in alcohol's nourishing and medicinal properties.

James Hoge was born on July 4, 1706 in Pennsylvania.

He married Nancy Griffith

John Hoge (1730),
James Hoge (1731/1732, married Elizabeth Howe),
Solomon Hoge
Martha Hoge
Mary Hoge (1742)
Barbara Hoge

He married Agnes Crawford

Edward Hoge (1748)
Moses Hoge (1751/52)

The Hoges were early settlers in, what is now, the Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia. The family settled in a part of Orange County, Virginia that is now Frederick County, West Virginia.

26-27 May 1742. 
Jost Hite of Orange County to James Hoge of same.
Lease and release;
for £190 current money.
760 acres being the remains of a pattin of 3,395 acres granted to Jost Hite...
at George Harrisson lowermost corners white oaks on the north side of Long Meadow which runs into Cedar Creek...
Harrisson's and not Warff line... near a good spring...
into the path that goes to Cedar Lick...
(signed) Jost Hite.
Wit: John Newport, John Saxton, Valentine Sevier.

In 1750 he was an elder of the Presbyterian congregation on Cedar Creek at Mulberry Run.

James wrote his will on March 18, 1793 and it was probated in Frederick County in July, 1795.

To wife, negro Jude beside her thirds.
Personal estate to be appraised except the still;
remainder to children as wife decides.
If she marries, all but widow's thirds to be divided, half to son Moses, quarter to son James, quarter to daughter Martha Allen.
To grandsons Moses and Edward Hoge, land in survey made by Thomas Buck, 186 acres, Moses to enjoy whole until brother Edward is 21. If one dies, survivor to have whole.
Son Solomon Hoge to have all the rest of land, conditioned on his payment of legacies:
to John Hoge, son,
to Mary Evans,
to Barbara Reed – 5 shillings sterling if they come to demant it;
to son James, £20;
to daughter Martha Allen, £15.
Wife and Solmon to share plantation as outlinde.
Exr: Wife Agnes Hoge
Wit: John Setzer, Philip Barr, Mary Setzer
Sec: Peter Senseney – John Setzer. Bond 2,000£


Frederick County, Virginia was formed in 1743 from Orange County. Old Frederick County included all or part of four counties in present-day Virginia: Shenandoah, Clarke, Warren, and Frederick, as well as five in present-day West Virginia: Hardy, Hampshire, Berkeley, Jefferson and Morgan.

A Dower is a provision for a wife's support should her husband die before her. Her dower right was the use of ⅓ of her husband's estate. The dower was settled on the bride at the time of the wedding. A drowry was the property a bride brought to her marriage.

Moses Hoge

Moses Hoge was born in Frederick County, Virginia, on February 15, 1741/52. He was the son of James and Nancy Hoge.

John Blair Hoge (1790, married Ann Hunter),
Samuel Davies Hoge (1792, married Elizabeth Rice)

He served in the Continental army during the Revolution.

He published Christian Panoply in 1799 and

He was educated at Timber Ridge Academy in Virginia and in 1781 was ordained pastor of a Presbyterian church in Hardy County, Virginia. He was pastor there for eight years after which he was was president of Hampden Sidney College.

In 1810 he received his Doctor of Divinity from Princeton.

He published Sermons in 1820.

In 1820 he was a delegate to the general assembly of the Presbyterian church in Philadelphia, and he died there on July 5, 1820.


Berkeley County, Virginia was created from the northern third of Frederick County, Virginia in 1772. Jefferson County was formed from the county's eastern section. In 1863 Berkeley County became part of the new state of West Virginia.
American colonists continued to use British monetary units, namely the pound, shilling and pence for which £1 (or li) equalled 20s and 1s equalled 12d. In 1792 the dollar was established as the basic unit of currency.
George Washington ( 1731/32  – 1799) was the commander-in-chief of the Continental Army during the American Revolution and first president of the United States (1789–1797).

The Planting of the Presbyterian Church in Northern Virginia by James Robert Graham

... The county of Loudoun was laid off in 1757, and Leesburg, the county seat, was established by law one year later. ... some Presbyterian families who desired to enjoy again their own form of worship... When the Rev. David Bard was dismissed from the charge of the Kittocktin and Gum Spring churches, June, 1782, he was ordered by the committee that had released him, to supply Leesburg until the next meeting of Presbytery....Outside the Records, it seems not unlikely that Rev. Amos Thompson, and his successors at Kittocktin, had held frequent services in Leesburg before Donegal had been asked for supplies. Their readiness to call Mr. Waugh so soon after their first petition was sent, is strong proof that they must already have had some kind of an organization, and that they considered themselves strong enough to sustain a minister. Of its history for the next twenty years very little is known.

Charlestown gets its name from Col. Charles Washington, who owned the land on which it was laid out. He was the brother of Gen. George Washington. The town is older than the county, of which it is the county seat. It was established in 1786, and one year after we meet the name for the first time in Ecclesiastical Records. A supplication for ministerial supplies was sent up from this place to Carlisle Presbytery in 1787. This was probably the first direct effort made by the people in that town to obtain regular Presbyterian worship for themselves. Those of our faith and order who resided in or near the place —and they had now become quite numerous—had been accustomed to attend worship either at Bullskin or Elk Branch, the two places being about equally distance.

But the movement of this people toward independent and permanent worship did not stop, indeed, it did not begin, with their request for a preacher; they had already made arrangements to secure a place for preaching. In the same year in which their petition went up to Presbytery they purchased from Charles Washington, for "£20 current money of Virginia," a piece of land, in the South-western part of Charlestown, on which to build a Presbyterian church. The deed for this property was signed and delivered February 17,1787, and was "ordered to be recorded at a court held for Berkeley County the 18th day of April, 1787." The original deed laid in the office of the clerk of that county for almost one hundred years. In 1885 it was discovered among the papers in that office and is now in the keeping of the Board of Trustees of the Charlestown church. The deed was made "to David Kennedy, John White, Peter Burr and Jacob Conchlin (farmers)," "at the suit, and for the use of the Charlestown congregation of Presbyterians." On the lot thus purchased a small stone building was erected, which, in the early part of the nineteenth century, was replaced by a more commodious structure, also built of stone. When the present large and handsome church was built in 1852 the old church was sold to the late Maj. W. J. Hawkes, who had it taken down, stone by stone, and re-erected on another site, in exactly its original form, and was used, until very recently, as a carriage factory.

Frederick County, Virginia was formed in 1743 from Orange County. Old Frederick County included all or part of four counties in present-day Virginia: Shenandoah, Clarke, Warren, and Frederick, as well as five in present-day West Virginia: Hardy, Hampshire, Berkeley, Jefferson and Morgan.


Colonial Maryland
Colonial New England
Colonial Virginia & West Virginia
Quakers & Mennonites
New Jersey Baptists
German Lutherans
Watauga Settlement
Pennsylvania Pioneers
Midwest Pioneers
Jewish Immigrants

©Roberta Tuller 2020
An American Family History is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program,
an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.