The Knob Creek Settlement
Washington County, Tennessee
East Tennessee is part of Appalachia. At the end of the French and Indian War, colonists began drifting into the area. In 1769, they first settled along the Watauga River. During the Revolution, the Overmountain Men defeated British loyalists at the Battle of Kings Mountain. The State of Franklin was formed in the 1780s, but never admitted to the Union.
Knob Creek was one of the earliest settlements in East Tennessee.
In 1790 the Reverend Samuel Doak and Hezikiah Balch organized the Hebron Church. The first elders were John Blair McMahan, Samuel Fain, and Adam Mitchell, Sr. The Hebron building was also used as a school house. Eventually the Hebron congregation left the log church on Knob Creek and moved to Jonesborough where they changed the name to the Jonesborough Presbyterian Church
The Knob Creek Brethren Church was established in 1799. They first celebrated communion in in Michael Krouse's house. Deacon Joseph Bowman's home was built with removable panels in the two front rooms so that it could be used for church meetings.