from Sanders, Alison and Collateral Families, pp. 125-128
John Alison 2nd, the second son of John Alison 1st, was born in the year 1755, and died February 2, 1832. He is buried in the New Bethel Cemetery. He was a Revolutionary soldier serving as a captain in the regiment of Col. Isaac Shelby at the battle of Kings Mountain, October 7, 1780. In this battle he received a knee wound causing him to walk lame ever thereafter. No record has been found where he applied for or received a pension. He was commonly known by his acquaintances as “Captain Jack Alison."
In the year 1790, he married Martha Hodge, a daughter of Francis Hodge 1st. The date of Martha’s birth and death is unknown. . .
His first home was a log structure located near the unusually large spring approximately one-half mile southwest of New Bethel Church, and 500 yards northwest of his brother Finley’s brick house. We assume that John Alison 2nd was not the owner of the property on which he made his first home and where seven members of his family of ten were born.
We base this assumption on the reference, in the following indenture, to the “land where John Alison 2nd lived"
This Indenture made this 9th February, 1805, ....Robert Alison obtained a judgment against William Hughes and Jon Boiden... at the September term in 1804, directed ...Thomas Rockhold, Sheriff, ... levy upon the property of William Hughes a certain piece or parcel of land ... on the North side of the Watauga river ... bounded by land of Finley Alison ...and lands of Peter Harrington. The same tract of land where John Alison lived, supposed to contain 100 acres.
And according to law on the 6th of February, 1805, did expose the said tract of land to public sale to the highest bidder and at the sale said Robert Alison was the highest and best bidder and in consideration whereof the sum of $108.00.. Robert Alison his heirs and assigns forever all the right and title and interests ...in the aforesaid tract of land.
Signed: Thomas Rockhold,
Sheriff of Sullivan County.
May 22, 1798, John Alison 2nd, purchased a 115 acre tract from Alexander Torbett. This was a part of a 200 acre tract grant dated November 10, 1784, No. 640 to Jacob Hedrick, which Mr. Hedrick sold to Alexander Torbett under date of November 3, 1784. John did not move his family to this tract until the year 1804.
The location of his log house on this acreage was directly across the road from the cousin Gertie and Carlie Alison brick house. This was a large “double" house. A "double" house in frontier architectural parlance was two pen type log houses placed end to end with an open passageway between, all covered with a common roof. This open passageway was used for storing wood for the large open fireplace, to accommodate a shelf for the indispensable cedar water pail, the old reliable tin wash basin, and a roller type handtowel nailed on the wall close by.
Soon after moving into this house it was completely destroyed, along with silverware, silver coins, furniture and valuable papers, by fire. John 2nd, his wife Martha, daughter Martha and son Jessie were all living in this house at the time it was destroyed.
August 7, 1800, John Alison 2nd purchased ...property from Frank Alison....
Children of Martha and John Alison 2nd:
1. Mary m. John Scott
2. Susannah m. Samuel Scott
4. Robert m. (a) Elenor Hodges (b) Mary McConnell Chester
5. John 3rd m. (a) Susannah Hodges (b) Nancy Pritchett
7. Elizabeth m. Joseph McCorkle
8. Jessie m. Clementine Shell
10. George W.