from A History of the Juniata Valley and Its People, Volume 1
edited by John Woolf Jord
Franklin township was erected in March, 1789, from the old town, ship of Tyrone, and was the first new township to be established after the organization of Huntingdon county. It extends from the Center county line on the northeast to the Little Juniata river on the southwest, and from Warriors Mark township on the northwest to the summit of Tussey's mountain on the southeast. Among the early settlers were Alexander Ewing, Zephaniah Weakland, George Mattern, Jacob Miner, Abraham Sells, Richard Ricketts, James Hunter, James Armitage and the Hendersons.