The Society of Friends (Quakers) began in England in the 1650s, when they broke away from the Puritans. Pennsylvania was founded by William Penn, as a safe place for Friends to live and practice their faith.
Edward Stroud was born about 1700 in England.
His wife was named Catherine.
Edward and Catherine's children may have included:
Mary Stroud (1722, married Herman Yerkes),
Edward Stroud, Jr. (1740, married Hannah Foulke)
The Stroud family settled in Whitemarsh, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania.
In 1734, Edward was on the tax list as a tenant.
When John Hamer married Rebecca Jones in 1736 at Plymouth Meeting Edward and Catherine were witnesses.
Nathan Potts, owned a farm of 100 acres at Plymouth Meeting. The general loan office of the Province of Pennsylvania sold this property to Edward Stroud in 1738. Stroud sold to Joshua Lawrence, who conveyed the property to Nathan Potts, in 1739. (from Historical Sketches)
When Henry Cunrad of Upper Dublin, married Jane Jones of Whitemarsh in 1742 at Plymouth Meeting Edward and Catherine Stroud and James Stroud were witnesses
On December 22, 1749/50, Edward Stroud witnessed the will of Andrew Kettler in Whitemarsh.
On August 13, 1767 his estate was sold by the sheriff.
By Virtue of a Writ of Venditioni Exponas to me directed, will be sold, by public Vendue, on Thursday, the 27th Day of August instant, at two o'Clock, on the Premises, a certain Messuage or Tenement, and Tract of Land thereunto belonging, situate in the Township of Whitemarsh, in the County of Philadelphia, containing 95 Acres, having a Barn, Stables, and other Improvements, thereon erected, late the Estate of Edward Stroud; seized and taken in Execution by William Parr, Sheriff. (from The Pennsylvania Gazette, August 13, 1767)
In 1774, Edward, Edward, Jr. and William were in Whitemarsh.
James and William Stroud were in the assessment of Whitemarsh in 1780. James had one horse and one cow and William was a laborer.
from Bean's History of Montgomery County
On the farm lately owned by Lewis A. Lukens, near the Wissahickon, is an old burying-ground that deserves notice. It was used for this purpose in 1722 and most probably earlier. Samuel Farmar, a son of Edward, conveyed, by a deed dated September 2, 1746, half an acre of ground to Henry Bartleson, Peter Knight and James Stroud, for the purpose of a burying- ground and place of worship, for the consideration of five pounds Pennsylvania currency.
Murray, Geo. of Plymouth township, Phila. Co. Yeoman.
June 25, 1775. July 8, 1775.
Parents, brothers and sisters: names not given.
Exec.: James Stroud.
Wit: Edward Stroud, M. Wright and Nathan Potts. Q.182.
White Marsh, Co. of Philadelphia. December 22, 1749/50. April 28, 1750. J.248.
Father: ---. Brothers: David, John and Philip.
Nephew: Andrew Sharp.
Attys. and Exec: Edward Stroud, Nathan Potts.
Wit: Christopher Robins, Johannes Duffel, Pat. Menan.