from Biographical and Portrait Cyclopedia of Fayette County, Pennsylvania
. . . James Dearth, was born in 1720 in England and died in 1797 in Luzerne township. He came to Maryland, bought slaves in 1777 and removed to Luzerne township, and ten years later patented 300 acres of land.
His second wife was Miss Sophia Simmons, and a son of his, George Dearth, was born April 23, 1762, and died October, 1846, on the home farm.
from Warren County Cemetery Records.
Edward & Elizabeth Dearth with their sons, Basil, James E., Aseal, Isaac, Samuel & daughter Priscilla landed at Cincinnati from Penn. on 16th day of April 1798 when a village of less than thirty houses; thence threaded their way along Waynes's Military Road to the waters of Clear Creek and struck their tent in that vicinity before Ohio became a state or Warren County had an organization.
The first and many subsequent elections for what are now Franklin & Clear Creek Townships were held at their house.
In 1827 their remains of the father & 2 sons were removed from the present site of the Miami Canal, and they, in 1871 with their friends who had followed were again removed to provide space for railroad facilities.
Their descendants have now selected for them this beautiful spot adjacent to the surroundings of their busy life as a suitable retreat from further encroachments incident to the wants of commerce or travel, for their long repose.