from History of Vermilion County, Illinois by Lottie E. Jones
Levi Babb was born in Green County, Tenn., Dec. 26, 1788. He came to Vermilion County, in October, 1826, and stopped near Yankee Point for a short time. In December of the same year he located on section 14, range ?, Elwood township.
He remained there about three years and a half, entering the west half of the southeast quarter of the section named, where he built the house which not only served him but his son after him for a home. During the time of his early residence in Vermilion County, Mr. Babb entered in all about six hundred acres of land.
The Indians had their camping ground about the house he built. There has been much evidence of this particular place being the scene of an Indian battle in the long ago by the many flint arrow heads found on the grounds. There was even a stone axe discovered there at one time.
In the early days of his first coming Levi Babb was obliged to go to Raccoon and Sugar creeks to mill. He endured many hardships and privations as did all the pioneers.
He came from Tennessee in a five horse wagon, riding a distance of six hundred and fifty miles.
He became a fluent speaker of the language of the native Indian and taught the son of the chief to plow, and in many ways endeared himself to them, and made them his friend forever.
He was a tireless worker and in every thing that pertained to his farm he spared no pains to procure the best. He would haul his produce to Chicago and return with salt and groceries. He was offered forty acres of land where Chicago now stands for a yoke of oxen, but he thought the land would never be of any account and so refused the wonderful bargain.
Mr. Babb was married twice and was the father of thirteen children. He died March 23, 1872. His first wife was Susannah Dillon, and his second wife who survived him less than a year, was the daughter of Alexander Prevo, a pioneer of Fountain County, Indiana.