Bloss is also spelled Blose, Bloß and Bose, Bloz, Blos, Blotz, Blows, Bloce, Blois, Blass, Blaas, Plose.
Carbon County, Pennsylvania was created in 1843 from parts of Northampton and Monroe Counties.
American colonists continued to use British monetary units, namely the pound, shilling and pence for which £1 (orli) equalled 20s and 1s equalled 12d. In 1792 the dollar was established as the basic unit of currency.
Elizabeth and Henry's children included:
Margaret Bloss Straub (1780, married Theodore Straub),
Peter Bloss (1785),
Nicholas Bloss (1787),
Elizabeth Bloss (1789),
Henry Bloss (1789),
Catharina Bloss Mehrkam (May 5, 1791- February 19, 1870, married Jacob Mehrkam),
Daniel Bloss (1795, married Elizabeth Beltz), and
Charles Bloss (1809).
In 1785, his federal tax was ten shillings on 160 acres of land, two horses, and two head of cattle.
The Supreme Executive Council of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania on May 5, 1788, granted Henry 217. 117 acres were in Towamensing township and 100 acres were in Westmoreland county and were taken out in pursuance of a warrant dated January 20, 1786.
On March 19, 1793, he obtained another warrant for fifty acres.
Heidelberg Township, Lehigh County, Pennsylvania originally included Washington Township and Slatington. It is located on Trout Creek and Jordan Creek.
In the Philadelphia yellow fever epidemic of 1793, 5000 or more people died between August 1 and November 9.
Pennsylvania is one of the 13 original states and was originally founded in 1681 as a result of a royal land grant to William Penn, the son of the state's namesake.
18th century primer
from "Bloss Family" from History of Lehigh County, Pennsylvania compiled by Clinton J. Bloss.
Henry Bloss, son of Conrad, was born in Washington township, this county. He settled in Towamensing township, Carbon county, about 1778. The Supreme Executive Council of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania on May 5, 1788, granted to Henry Bloss 217 ¾ acres of land; 117 ¾ acres of this land was located in Towamensing township, Carbon county, the remaining 100 acres were located in Westmoreland county and were taken out in pursuance of a warrant bearing date Jan. 20, 1786. On March 19, 1793, he obtained another warrant for fifty acres. In 1785 he was assessed Federal tax amounting to ten shillings on 160 acres of land, two horses, and two head of cattle.
Henry Bloss married Elizabeth ( ?) In the Federal Census of 1790 there were in his family two sons and two daughters. At this time we know the name of only one of his children, namely, Catharina, born May 5, 1791; died Feb. 19, 1870. She married Jacob Mehrkam, born Oct. 16, 1796; died Dec. 21, 1870. Both are buried in the old cemetery adjoining Towamensing Church, Carbon county.
Lehigh County, Pennsylvania was first settled about 1730 and officially constituted in 1812 with the division of Northampton County.
from Historic Homes and Institutions and Genealogical and Personal Memoirs of the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania, John W. Jordan, Edgar Moore Green, & George T. Ettinger, eds., 190
His grandfather, Theodore Straub (Dewalt or Theobald), was born in what is known as Dry Land, a little hamlet located between Easton and Bethlehem. He was an extensive distiller, and a man of considerable force of character and local influence in his day, being widely known as an industrious, upright and worthy citizen.
[He married Margaret Bloss] His family numbered five sons: Emanuel, Daniel, John, David and Thomas, and three daughters.
History of the Counties of Lehigh and Carbon
Leonard Beltz, a native of Franklin [Township], married Miss E[lizabeth] Boyer, daughter of Frederick Boyer, and settled on land near Parryville, where he kept a hotel, and finally died. His wife died at the age of one hundered and five years in 1867. Their children were, Nicholas, Peter, Jacob, John Eli, Frank, Thomas, Susan, Mary, Molly, and Elizaeth. The old farm is now Parryville. Nicholas settled there and his daughters, Mrs. Lenoyer and Mrs. Mowry, now live in the village.
Peter, now ninety years of age, is living with Jacob Hoyt his son-in-law. He owned a farm above Maria Furnance. Jacob settled in Northampton County near Lockport. John settled in Mahoning township. A daughter, Mrs. A. Arner, lives on the farm he owned. Frank settled in this township and a son John F. now lives there. Elizabeth moved to Schuylkill County. Thomas lives in Mahoning township. Squire H. A. Beltz, of Lehighton, is his son. Susan (Mrs. Samuel Nunemacher), and Mary (Mrs. Jonathan Haines) lives in Parryville, andElizabeth[Beltz] (Mrs. Daniel Bloss) near the town, where Molly (Mrs. Joseph Beck) resides in Illinois.