logo

An American Family History

Walter Powers, Jr. 1674

The New England Meetinghouse was the only municipal building in a town. Both worship and civil meetings were held there. It was customary for men and women to sit separately and the town chose a committee once a year to assign seats according to what was paid, age, and dignity.

Walter Powers, Jr. was born on June 28, 1674 in Littleton, Middlesex County, Massachusetts. His parents were Walter Powers and Trial Shepard.

When he was 22 years old he married Rebecca Barrett on December 16, 1696. Rebecca was born July 4, 1673 in Chelmsford, Middlesex County, Massachusett. She was the daughter of Joseph Barrett and Martha Gould.

Walter and Rebecca located in the town of Littleton, west of Spectacle Pond, adjoining the town of Groton, near "Brown Hill."

Walter and Rebecca's children included:
Rebecca Powers Taylor (1697, married Jonathan Taylor),
Ezekiel Powers (1700, married Elizabeth Trull and Lydia Whitcomb),
Sarah Powers Trull (1702, married John Trull),
Deacon David Powers (1704),
Susannah Powers (1706),
Martha Powers (1708, died as an infant), and
Captain Josiah Powers (1710).

In 1704 Walter, Jr. undertook the care of his parents.

In 1723 he was given , the second "pew place" because he paid the"next to the largest tax."

Walter died in 1738 when he was 63 years old. Rebecca died in 1754. Almost 100 years later in May, 1853, her gravestone was plowed up. It read "Rebekah in ye eightieth year of her age."

Littleton, Middlesex County, Massachusetts was first settled in 1686 by English settlers and was the the location of the Native American village called Nashoba Plantation

Old Style Calendar
Before 1752 the year began on Lady Day, March 25th,. Dates between January 1st and March 24th were at the end of the year. Old Style (O.S.) and New Style (N.S.) are used to indicate whether the year has been adjusted. Often both dates are used.
Children of Walter Powers
and Trial Shepard
  • William Powers
  • Mary Powers Wheeler
  • Captain Isaac Powers
  • Thomas Powers
  • Lieutenant Daniel Powers
  • Increase Powers
  • Walter Powers, Jr.
  • Jacob Powers
  • Sarah Powers Barron
  • ye is an archaic spelling of "the."
    A blockhouse or garrison house is a small, isolated fort. The typical blockhouse was two stories with the second story overhanging the first. It had small openings to allow residents to shoot attackers without being exposed.
     

    divider

     
    A blockhouse or garrison house is a small, isolated fort. The typical blockhouse was two stories with the second story overhanging the first. It had small openings to allow residents to shoot attackers without being exposed.

    from New England Families, Genealogical and Memorial edited by William Richard Cutter

    Thomas Barrett, the immigrant ancestor, was made a freeman in 1645. He was one of the thirty-two inhabitants of Braintree, Massachusetts, who received from the general court in 1645 the grant of ten thousand acres of land in Warwick, Rhode Island, which had been confiscated by reason of Gorton's "heresy." This action of the general court was overruled in England, however, before the settlement could be begun, and the original settlers in Warwick retained their land. Thomas Barrett lived in Braintree several years, and purchased land there in 1651 of Michael Saunders and Francis Elliot. Later he settled in Chelmsford, Massachusetts, where he made his will in 1662, naming his wife, his sons John, Thomas and Joseph. He died October 6, 1668, and his widow Margaret died July 8, 1681.

    Children:
    John,
    Thomas, married, in 1665, in Braintree,
    Frances Woolderson;
    Mary, married, 1654,
    Shadrach Thayer;
    Joseph [Barrett], married Martha Gould, 1672.

    Any man entering a colony or becoming a a member the church, was not free. He was not forced to work, but his movements were carefully observed to see if they followed the Puritanical ideal. After this probationary period, he became a "freeman." Men then took the Oath of a Freeman where they vowed to defend the Commonwealth and not to overthrow the government.

    Cutter's work is available on CD
     
     
    Chelmsford, Middlesex County, Massachusetts was incorporated in May, 1655

    History of Chelmsford, Massachusetts by Wilson Waters, Henry Spaulding Perham

    Town's House On Robins Hill... the Town built a house upon Robins hill, the purpose of which is not clear. It was neither sufficiently large nor substantial for a garrison house, being of one room, 16 x 18, covered with but a single thickness of boards, and with but one window. The fact that Indian troubles were brewing, and that the committee appointed to select its location, Lieut. Samuel Foster and Ensign William Fletcher, were both officers in the "foot company [infantry]," would indicate that it was intended to serve some military purpose. The place was admirably adapted for a lookout from which to discover and warn people of approaching danger...

    Joseph Barrett had a double motive for doing faithful work when he built the house for the town, for, when completed, it was promptly occupied by Francis Gould, whose daughter, Martha, the builder had married the year before. Goold, or Gould, signed an agreement with the selectmen.." to pay yearly the sum of one peck of endian Corn"...Gould and his wife, Rose, had a family of five small children, and others older, to occupy this one room cottage, which had but a single thickness of boarding to protect its inmates from the blasts of winter.

    Lush forests in Colonial America allowed settlers to build wooden homes.

     
     
     

    Genealogical and Family History of the State of Maine by George Thomas Little, Henry Sweetser Burrage, Albert Roscoe Stubbs, published by Lewis Historical Pub. Co., 1909

    Walter [Powers] Jr., born June 28, 1674, married, December 16, 1696, Rebecca, daughter of Joseph and Martha (Gould) Barrett, of Chelmsford. Rebecca Barrett was born July 4, 1673. died in 1754.

    Walter Power Jr., on marrying, located in the town of Littleton, west of Spectacle Pond and adjoining the town of Groton, near "Brown Hill," and after the death of his brother William, he appears to have been the owner of the old plan in Concord Village. In 1723, in awarding the pews, the second "pew place" was awarded him as paying "next to the largest tax." In May, 1853, the old gravestone of "Rebekah in ye eightieth year of her age was found freshly turned over by the plow of Mr. Reed."

     

     

    Bauman & Dreisbach
     
     
     

    ©Roberta Tuller 2017
    tuller.roberta@gmail.com