logo

An American Family History

St. John's Towamensing Union Church

Carbon County, Pennsylvania was created in 1843 from parts of Northampton and Monroe Counties.
Lutheran Church

St. John’s Towamensing Church in Towamensing Township was the second church in what is what is now Carbon County. Carbon County was formed in 1843 from Northampton and Monroe Counties. Towamensing was a union of Lutheran and German Reformed Churches. It was organized on February 12, 1798 near Palmerton, Pennsylvania

On February 6, 1799, the church society elected officers. The Lutherans chose John Solt as trustee and Jost Bowman [Bauman], John Kline, Sr. and Peter Solt were elected deacons. The Reformed church elected Nicholas Kern Trustee, and Nicholas Schneider (Snyder), Peter Stine, and Jost Dreisbach were chosen deacons. Nicholas Kern treasurer of both congregations.

At the same meeting they planned the church building. Nicholas Bachman was the carpenter and was paid twenty-five pounds. The building was to be built of hewed logs, pine and oak. The corner-stone was laid on the 12th day of June, 1799, by the Rev. John Caspar Bill of the German Reformed. Not until ten years later was the building weatherboarded, and prior to this time it was used without a stove.

Lutherans are Protestants who follow Martin Luther's religious teachings, especially the doctrine of justification by faith alone.
Northampton County, Pennsylvania is on the eastern border of the state in the Lehigh Valley. It was formed in 1752 from parts of Bucks County. Easton is the county seat.
 

divider

 

 

Bauman & Dreisbach
 
 
 

©Roberta Tuller 2017
tuller.roberta@gmail.com