The Palatinate is a region in south-western Germany. Many thousands of Palatine immigrants were driven out of Germany by war, famine, despotic rule and disease. They were attracted to Pennsylvania by the first settlers who sent back favorable reports.
Europeans who made the voyage to America faced a difficult journey of several months.
Johannes Alspach was born August 2, 1706 in Froschen. He was the son of Johann Heinrich and Anna Catharina Alspach. He married Anna Ottilie Stegner on October 12, 1729 in Nunschweiler. Anna Catharina was born Oct 2, 1710 in Hohmuhlbach and was the daughter of Theobald and Anna Barbara Stegner of Hohmuhlbach.
Anna Catarina died May 10, 1778 in Neufroschen and Johannes died June 17, 1779 in Neufroschen.
Their first daughter was born in Hohmuhlbach and the others in Oberfroschen.
1. Anna Barbara Alspach, born April 9, 1730 and
died June 17, 1737 in Oberfroschen
2. Johann Reinhardt Alspach, born Nov 11, 1731. Married Anna Magdalena Brandstetter. Reinhard was a smith, born in Thaleischweiler, Germany on November 11, 1731. He was the son of Heinrich and Anna Catherine Alspach. Anna was pregnant when they married much to the outrage of the community and they had to leave the country.
Brandstätter, Anna Magdalena, wohnhaft zu Eischweiler.Alspach hat sie vorher geschwängert, darmum nach der Copulation sie das Land räumen mußten. Er warwieder agenommen, zog aber dan nach Amerika.
3. Johann Matthias Alspach, born May 28, 1733
4. Johann David Alspach, born September 22, 1734.
5. Anna Barbara Alspach, born September 25, 1737.
6. Elisa. Catharina Alspach, born December 17, 1739 and died April 1, 1744 in Oberfroschen,.
7. Johann Jacob Alspach, born January 12, 1742.
8. Maria Magdalena Alspach, born April 14, 1744.
9. Georg Heinrich Alspach, born Mar 25, 174.
10. Johannes Alspach, born Feb 12, 1748.
11. Johann Georg Alspach, born May 9, 1750.
12. Johann Christian Alspach, born Aug 29, 1753.
Johann David, Anna Barbara and Georg Heinrich emigrated to America in 1763.
Johann Mathias Alspach was born in 1695 in Germany. He came to America on the Robert & Alice. His wife was named Anna Barbara
Their children included:
Johannes Alspach (1731),
Johann David Alspach, Catherine Alspach Biehl (1735, married Melchoir Biehl),
Heinrich Alspach (1736), and
Johannes Alspach (1736)
Old Style Calendar
Before 1752 the year began on Lady Day, March 25th,. Dates between January 1st and March 24th were at the end of the year. Old Style (O.S.) and New Style (N.S.) are used to indicate whether the year has been adjusted. Often both dates are used.
Berks County, Pennsylvania was formed on March 11, 1752 from parts of Chester County, Lancaster County, and Philadelphia County. Northwestern parts of the county became Northumberland County in 1772 and Schuylkill County in 1811.
Lush forests in Colonial America allowed settlers to build wooden homes.