logo

An American Family History

Robert Long

Bedford County, Pennsylvania was created on March 9, 1771 from part of Cumberland County.

Robert Long was born in the mid 18th century, his father may have been William Long, Sr.

The Long family moved to Barree Township, Pennsylvania about 1774.

On November 2, 1784 the Long family had their land surveyed in Bedford County.

Robert Long applied for a warrant for 150 acres on the south side of Warrior Ridge about 2 miles from the War?? F??? joining land claimed by Joseph and Thomas Long including a small spring.

 

Warrior Ridge
Warrior Ridge

Barree Township, Pennsylvania was formed in 1767 and was originally part of of Cumberland County, then it became part of Bedford County until 1787 when it became part of Huntingdon County.

Huntingdon County, Pennsylvania was established on September 20, 1787 as a large region of Central Pennsylvania.  It was previously part of Bedford County and the earlier Cumberland Region.
 

divider

American pioneers migrated west to settle areas not previously inhabited by European Americans.

from History of Hancock County, Ohio

The family of John Long was the third to locate here, coming to the county in the fall of 1826. They first "squatted" in Amanda Township, thence removed to the south part of Big Lick, and subsequently settled on the west half of the northeast quarter of Section 21, which was entered by John Long, in November, 1829.

John and Isabella Long were natives of Pennsylvania, and removed to Kentucky, where Robert was born in February, 1801. From Kentucky they came to Fairfield County, Ohio, and thence finally to this township.

John and Robert voted at the first election for township officers in April, 1831. The parents died in this township many years ago, the father in 1835, and Robert and Jephtha are the only survivors of their nine children.

Robert Long was in his twenty-sixth year when his father came to this county, and, in 1832, married Polly, daughter of Philip Essex, and she bore him four children, one of whom survives. Mrs. Long died in 1840, and he was afterward married to Mary Graham, a daughter of John Graham, who came to the township in 1833.

Of this union seven children were born, five of whom are living. The mother died August 6, 1879. Mr. Long was a noted hunter during his more youthful days, and he loves yet to recount stories of the chase, when Indians roamed the forest, and the larger wild animals were more plentiful than domestic stock. Upon his farm was located the celebrated "Big Lick," from which the township derives its name. In a tree close by, a part of which is yet standing, Mr. Long constructed a seat where net-comfortably waited the coming of the deer to enjoy their nightly feast, when he easily secured a choice venison. During one of those silent watches a negro pitched his camp close to the lick, andj supposing that he too had come to secure a deer, Mr. Long concluded to try and scare him away. He began imitating the Indian whoop, and the negro at once fled through the forest toward Findlay, where he afterward died from the effects of his overexertion. Mr. Long did not expect such a serious result from his ruse to protect his game preserve, and veiy much regretted the poor fellow's death. He is now (July, 1885) in his eighty-fifth year, and shows the ravages time has made on his once rugged frame.

 

Kentucky was originally a county in Virginia and included the lands west of the Appalachians. In 1780, it was divided into Fayette, Jefferson, and Lincoln counties. Kentucky officially became a state on June 1, 1792.

 

Bauman & Dreisbach
 
 
 

©Roberta Tuller 2017
tuller.roberta@gmail.com