logo

An American Family History

John Jacob Brandstetter and Maria Margaretha Bloß

Heidelberg Township, Northampton (now Lehigh County), Pennsylvania
Buildings in Clark County, Ohio ranged from simple log cabins to sophisticated Italianate and Gothic Revival structures.

Pennsylvania German families took an active role in the American Revolution in Northampton County.
A militia is a military unit composed of citizens who are called up in time of need.

John Jacob Brandstetter and Maria Margaretha Bloß were married on the same year as the Boston Tea Party on March 30, 1773. The marriage was recorded at Schlosser's Church in North Whitehall Township, Northampton (now Lehigh County) Pennsylvania. Although Jacob and Margaretha were born in America, they probably spoke German in their home because they lived in the isolated, frontier German community in Heidelberg Township.

John Jacob owned 140 acres there. Their house was on the road leading from the village of Germansville to the village of Jordan Valley. Their home was described in the 1790 tax list. They lived in a one-story stone house, with a separate log kitchen. The house was 23 by 20 feet and had a log barn 40 by 23 feet. It was on 127 acres.

The names of their children were listed in Sylvia Olson’s Early Clark County, Ohio Families. Maria Barbara Brandstetter Peter was born on February 11, 1774.

In 1776, at the beginning of the American Revolution, they appeared on the Heidelberg Township Tax List. During the Revolution, Jacob was a member of the Northampton Militia.

Henry Brandstetter was born about 1777.

On March 22, 1777 and in 1778 Jacob appeared on the list of communicants of the Heidelberg Lutheran Church. Margaretha did not appear on the list.

In 1779 and 1781 Jacob again appeared on the tax list of Heidelberg Township.

Daniel Brandstetter was born about 1781. Jacob Brandstetter, Jr. was born about 1782. Margaretha Brandstetter Schneider (Snyder) was born on February 19, 1783. She was christened at Heidelberg Lutheran on March 23. Her sponsors were Rebecca and Peter Bloss.

The family appeared in the 1790 census (Ransteter) in Heidelberg Township.

The 1790 Household
Two males sixteen and older - Jacob and Henry
Two males under sixteen - Daniel and Jacob
Four females - Margaretha, Barbara, Margaretha and unknown

Soloman Brandstetter was born about 1790. John Brandstetter was born about 1794.

On Palm Sunday, 1794 Jacob appeared on the list of communicants of Heidelberg Lutheran Church.

In 1796 the Lutherans of Heidelberg built a new schoolhouse and Jacob promised to pay 1 pound 10 schillings 0 pence. In 1798, Jacob Brandstetter was on the U.S. Direct Tax list of Heidelberg township.

In the 1800 census, the family (Brandslatter) appeared in Heidelberg Township, Northampton County, Pennsylvania.

1800 Household
Three males under 10 - John, Jacob, and Solomon
One male between 16 and 26- Daniel or Henry
One male 45 and over - Jacob
One female between 10 and 16 - Margaretha
One female over 45 - Maria

On April 18, 1807 Jacob granted his land to his son Daniel Brandstetter.

In 1809 John Jacob passed away.

After Jacob's death Henry and Jacob left Lehigh County and settled in Canfield Township, Trumbull County (later Mahoning), Ohio. Henry, John and Jacob’s families all appeared in the 1820 and 1830 census in Austintown, Trumbull County, Ohio.

Daniel and Solomon remained in Heidelberg at least until 1812. Solomon moved to Greenwood Township, Columbia County, Pennsylvania.

Heidelberg Township, Lehigh County, Pennsylvania originally included Washington Township and Slatington. It is located on Trout Creek and Jordan Creek.

The Brandstetter (Brandstaetter, Brandstatter) girls of Thaleischweiler were rather free with their affections, but they made matters right by marrying their lovers-and departing from Germany. from Pennsylvania Genealogical Magazine.

Northampton County, Pennsylvania is on the eastern border of the state in the Lehigh Valley. It was formed in 1752 from parts of Bucks County. Easton is the county seat.
Lehigh County, Pennsylvania was first settled about 1730 and officially constituted in 1812 with the division of Northampton County.

Settlers often built log cabins as their first homes.

 

divider